Untitled.jpg

Humble Beginnings...

In 1945, Rev. George Dorsett put up a tent over a sawdust floor at the corner of Glenwood and Willora Streets to hold an evangelistic meeting. This meeting was an answer to prayer as several Christians that lived in the community desired for help to reach their community with the Gospel of Christ. Approximately thirty people gave their hearts and lives to Jesus Christ through salvation during this revival meeting. After a period of time, Rev. George Dorsett built a small frame style wooden building to replace the worn out tent so that God’s people would have a more permanent place of worship. In August of 1947, Southside Baptist Church was organized with thirty charter members. In the Fall of 1947, the small church requested membership to become a part of the Piedmont Baptist Association, the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina and the Southern Baptist Convention. The church was accepted to become a member of all three denominational entities. In 1951, the small frame wooden building was cut in half and moved to the corner of Freeman Mill Road and Interstate 40. The building was reassembled for worship to expand in southern Greensboro.

2church with addition.jpg

A New Building and Expansion...

On March 13, 1955, the church voted to build a new brick building. This building was built by many of the church members.  The building was completed and the first worship service was held in this facility on September 16, 1956. On January 7, 1963, the church voted to build an educational building as an addition to the church. This building was used to teach God’s word to his disciples through Sunday School and Training Union.

DSC_0034.JPG

A New Location...

In 1980, the church became aware that Freeman Mill Road would become NC Highway 220 and that the front entrance to the church building would no longer be accessible because of it. After a period of prayer, the church worked tirelessly to prepare for relocation. After several years of prayer and searching, the current location of the church became available and plans were put into motion to build a new facility. In August of 1987, a ground breaking ceremony was held for the current building. The first service held on Greenhaven Dr. was in November, 1988. In 1993, the church purchased 4 acres beside the facility for future growth. In 2007, the sanctuary was remodeled and in 2008 a new steeple was erected.